Arizona School Tax Credit

Tax CreditThis year do something really smart about your tax bill: Keep your tax dollars local! Any amount will help PUSD students. Your tax credit goes directly to the school you choose, not to the state or district.

» PUSD Tax Credit Form

» Eligible Programs

» Parents of Kindergarten Students: Your friends and family can help pay for your child’s kindergarten fees!

Claiming your tax credit is easy:

1. Print the PUSD Tax Credit Form, above, complete the information, and return to the PUSD District Office or to the school of your choice.
2. Pay by phone with your Visa, Mastercard, or Discover card. Call Janice Snyder at the District Office, 928-445-5400, x 110. (Due to increased bank fees, PUSD is no longer offering tax credit payments online.)

In either case, you will be mailed a receipt to use in your tax preparation.

Reasons to contribute

  • The State of Arizona has a law that benefits taxpayers and school children alike. A.R.S. 43-1089 allows a tax credit of $200 for individuals and $400 for married couples filing jointly, for fees or donations paid to a public school in support of extracurricular activities.
  • It costs you nothing. It gives you a say in how your tax dollars are spent and reduces your tax bill by whatever amount you donate. Let’s say you donate $400 to an eligible school activity, you will reduce your Arizona state tax bill by $400. If you expect a refund, it will be $400 higher. If you don’t pay state income tax, you can’t reduce your liability below $0.
  • So many programs in need of support. Last year, taxpayers like you helped cover the costs for after-school programs, band, orchestra, sports, and art programs, as well as admission to plays, concerts, parks, museums, and nature camps. Simply put, tax credit donations make possible a wide range of learning opportunities that our children would not otherwise have. And you don’t have to have a child in the school district to benefit from this tax credit.

Please respond today

There has never been a better time – or way – for you to help Prescott’s schoolchildren. Your donation must be made before December 31st to apply to the current year, so please claim your tax credit today.

For details regarding the tax credit, go to the Arizona Department of Revenue web pageAZ Dept of Revenue Forms 322 and 301 and instructions can be printed from this page.

Frequently asked questions

Q: What is the maximum dollar amount available for this credit?
A: A.R.S. 43-1089 allows a tax credit of $200 for individuals and $400 for married couples filing jointly, for fees or donations paid to a public school in support of extracurricular activities.

Q: Does it have to be $400?
A: The amount of the tax credit does not have to be for the total allowable amount of $400. You may donate any amount, up to the $200 or $400 limit, in installments during the calendar year or donate it at one time.

Q: Where does the money go?
A: You may indicate which school and which program you would like to support or you can designate your money to be given to the school(s) with the greatest need. The credit also may be split between one or more schools.

Q: When is the tax credit available?
A: The tax credit is available for taxable year beginning January 1. Contributions must be received by December 31st to qualify for that year’s tax return.

Q: Must I have a child in school to claim this credit?
A: No. There is no requirement that the taxpayer have a child enrolled in a public school in order to claim the credit. Donations or contributions made in support of extracurricular activities at a public school which require a fee are eligible for the tax credit, up to the maximum as stated above.

Q: What public schools and grades are eligible for the credit?
A: All public schools that provide instruction in grades K-12 are eligible for the credit. Non-governmental schools, community colleges and universities do not qualify for the credit.

Q: Can I receive a refund of these credits?
A: The credits may only be used to the extent that they reduce State tax liability to zero.

Q: I made some eligible contributions before I knew about the new law. Can I still claim this contribution?
A: Yes; however, you will need a receipt. Please call or visit the school office to obtain a receipt. You may be asked to provide documentation, such as a canceled check, for your contribution.